Sunday 8 February 2015

A quick ride north

Merzouga unfortunately meant the end of my saunter around Morocco. I'd arranged to meet Duncan in Lisbon and so I now had three days to do the approximately 1000k north to the ferry back to Spain.
One pleasant unhurried day was spent riding north back over the Tizi pass and finishing near Marrakesh where I said goodbye to Craig and Jenni.






The next day was a hard slog up Morocco's main (only) freeway - just like being in Europe except locals sometimes decide the verge is a good place to graze sheep or goats, the center reservation is a good place to harvest something (never worked out what it was, but it was very popular activity) and at all times assume that if the freeway divides you from where you want to be then you just cross it like a normal road (which means without any real concern for what cars might be coming at a given moment, they'll go around you). I quickly decided riding it at night would be a risk too far. Local car drivers can also over estimate their skills, this happened just ahead of me with fortunately no one badly hurt.


The day ended with my last night in Morocco at the fishing port of Larach only a 100k or so short of the ferry port. Turned out to be a lucky choice for a final night. A small town where at night it seemed everyone promenaded on the sea front or the town square and most unusually totally ignored the tourist in their midst. I had a great night just wandering around and grazing at the food stalls. The snails in broth sold at the cart in the photo below were probably the most memorable food I had in the whole country.



The next day it's all over, a quick jaunt up the coast, a short ferry trip and suddenly I'm in Spain.

No comments:

Post a Comment