Thursday 29 January 2015

Having an "off" moment

Lots been happening since I last posted. On Australia day I headed east over the Tizi-n-Ticha pass which at 2300m is slightly higher than the top of Mount Kosciusko which on the way up and down gave me some spectacular views - and at the top more experience of snow.




Once over the pass I headed to the city of Ouarzazate  as I approached was flagged down a man  whose car had supposedly broken and asking me to take a message to his cousin. It turned out to be a scam to get "the tourist" to his carpet shop. Whilst I managed to avoid purchasing anything I did get this fetching photo as part of the softening up process.


Ouarzazate was alovely little town, and apart from the above, nicely free of get the tourist hassle. So enjoyed it I stayed a second unplanned night there.






From Ouarzazate I went to Gorge du'Dades which is famed for the beauty of its rock formations. It didn't dissapoint and as ever my photos dont do the place justice.





 Whilst there I found out my two Australian friends met earlier in the trip were in Todra Gorge, the next gorge over and another of the recommended must sees. On the map I found there was a linking dirt road between the head of the gorges and thought it had to be worth a go as a route over to them. The only issue was it went over a pass at 2900m well above the snow line - but local advice assured me it should be clear.

 

It waslookn't - and all the melting snow somewhat below the pass had turned the road to a sticky, horrible mess. The consequence was predictable.
Getting the bike upright from here took me two hours because what you can't see in the photo is it's lying wheels up / seat downwards a steep slope. To be able to make it light enough to lift from that position I had, whilst it was on its side, to remove all the luggage plus fuel tank, a particularly awkward and muddy job.  Ah the joys of motorcycling!

No comments:

Post a Comment